Monday, June 07, 2010

Dinner with the Embassy

(continued from "Iran so far away")

Armando is in the front with the tan shirt

When I had arrived home after my escapades across the bay, I told Barbara and Jeff about what I did that day and what was proposed to me for the next. When we put all the pieces together we couldn't help but feel like something was fishy. These two guys were college kids (older college kids but nonetheless.) They offered to pay for everything, hotel and beer included. Finally they told me to bring my camera. In afterthought it seemed like Armando and Kershak were taking me to a hotel to get me drunk, beat me up and steal my camera. So I began to get weary of the whole situation and questioned whether i really wanted to go.

The next day I went with Jeff to the college that he taught at. Jeff introduced me to his forth year lit class students and I tried to help them with a group quiz on the book Galatea 2.2. Which I never read so I wasn't much help. Afterwords I met up with Armando at the bar we met each other at and had a few beers. After waiting for Kershak for bout an hour he called and said we'll meet at the hotel. So Armando and I left and headed towards the hotel. It was on the same block of the tallest building in Izmir, the Hilton Hotel unfortunately I don't remember the name. we then headed up one floor to the banquet room (I found that strange since I was under the assumption that we were getting drunk in a hotel room.) We walk in to a large group of people having dinner wearing formal clothes and talking in a language I've had yet to hear. Turning to Armando I say "I wish u would have told me this thing was formal! Here I am wearing jeans, sneakers, and a tye dye t-shirt! I look like an ignorant american asshole!" He just laughs.

We go and join a table of men all talking in persian (Iran's main language and the strange vernacular i heard earlier) In front was a panel comprised of the Iranian ambassador to Turkey, a high ranking religious official, and three of the wealthiest Iranians living in this area. When i sat down i was served a traditional iranian dish made of mashed eggplant, a stringy beef, and a bowl of fruit. Everything was delicious except the beef was a little dry. They served a strawberry cake afterwords that was equally delectable. As we ate the panel talked and since I didn't understand what they were saying. I asked Armando and he told me that the ambassador was offering his service to anyone whom may have any problems living here in Turkey. As well as giving a free all expense paid trip to MECCA! I didn't  put my name in because i figured it'd be a little weird for a non believing american to win such a thing (and i didn't really understand what the hell was going on...) All the while I was being introduced to Armando's fantastic friends and family whom were delighted to see an american at this get together/ country. I was invited to at least four different parties. To be honest I was completely surprised how nice everyone was, and how many people spoke english. I kept apologiseing for my outfit to which made many people laugh. After a group photo with the panelists, I headed home reaping only reward from possible risk. I had a great time because I followed my gut and hoped for the best in a foreign country.





(I didn't bring my camera to this event so i didn't get pics so im putting up pics of when Armando and I hung out later that week)

No comments:

Post a Comment